Post by LaZy »

Wikileaks irresponsable or necessary?

out
lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Wikileaks...

Post by lordandcount »

irresponsable, I think most people suspected this, but it doesn't have to be proved. That is dangerous. It is an illusion to think that evrything can be solved with our "european standard". Some things just don't work that way, sometime you need to bribe someone. That said I'm still against torturing people.
NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

Dunno about irresponsable or necessary , but untill now their was nothing that was beyond my expectations.

This is now from the us diplomacy, you would be amazed how the diplomacy of our countries looks like.
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Unavoidable, and I think overall that's a good thing. When our biggest industry is our Federal government, how can you keep a lid on everything they do, and why would you want to?
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

i read some of the notes , pretty nasty whats in them. if obama had a slight chance of re election id say its out the window now
- Dan
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

To be honest, I'm in favour of transparency. Would diplomats act the same way if they knew that their deeds could be exposed?
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

some things are best kept as secret
- Dan
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

^What Dan said. A democratic society is a very fragile achievement. If you just post anything you can find, nobody knows what to believe and what not and if you're not sure, you tend to believe what is written down. Who gave the information? Is it reliable? I watched a TV show here yesterday and the former US diplomatic in Berlin was one of the guests. He said that round about 250.000 people have access to this secret intranet, which has been installed after 9/11 to to make data exchange easier. But it's not possible to share a secret with 250.000 people.

The good thing about WikiLeaks and other sites in the net is that if they do a sustainable work, they can force more truth in what the politics say, because people can control them.
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

[quote=""deadhanddan""]i read some of the notes , pretty nasty whats in them. [/quote]

I'm more amazed that people find them that nasty, i had expected so much more. The opinions of the diplomats about world leaders were in line what i tought. The so called secret that their are nuclear bombs in belgium was for more then 20 years a public secret, evryone knows it.
And that china tries to hack other countries pc's is nothing to be amazed at. Was also a public secret.

It was more a confirmation what i already tought. Read the news of different sources and you are going to be a lot wiser.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""HuggyPierre""] He said that round about 250.000 people have access to this secret intranet, which has been installed after 9/11 to to make data exchange easier. But it's not possible to share a secret with 250.000 people.
[/quote]

well i read it was 2,5 Mio.
and 850.000 had access to "Top Secret" classifieds.

The US has a data security problem. They now pay the price for a lax data security policy. That is the real problem here. Else it would have been much less likely to happen
Basic rule about security: Most attacks on data come from within and not from outside. This rule was quite neglected here, if someone can download so many documents without any problems

It has never been easier for foreign secret services to spy on the US. I don't want to know what other nations have known of this before already because they had an agaent under this 2,5 mio who also could have downloaded the documents that easily
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""Comadevil""][quote=""HuggyPierre""] He said that round about 250.000 people have access to this secret intranet, which has been installed after 9/11 to to make data exchange easier. But it's not possible to share a secret with 250.000 people.
[/quote]

well i read it was 2,5 Mio.
and 850.000 had access to "Top Secret" classifieds.

[/quote]

Just can say what he said. 2,5 Mio would be ouch 8O
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

So they shut them up...I mean down

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11907641

thoughts....

out
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i bet they will be up soon again ;-)
julian assange is a hero
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]i bet they will be up soon again ;-)
julian assange is a hero[/quote]

Yeah, of coarse he is. What his actions have done will put lives in danger and get people killed all in the name of "freedom of press". His actions are irresponsible at best, but whatever it takes to bring the US down, right?

There's a reason that those documents are classified. Most of the stuff he's 'published' is the non-PC facts about how countries and diplomats behave and their professional abilities. It does nothing but hurt relationships between sovereign countries. How is that a good thing?

He's a hacker and a traitor and I hope he's brought up under formal charges of espionage and then just-fully punished. However, I doubt this guy is around that long. Leaking classified and sensitive information about powerful countries is not a good thing to do in a world where black ops agents exist.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

It's a good thing because we should know what our government is doing. That's part of the American model - we don't trust those in power absolutely, and there is no way to check on what those in power are doing if they are allowed to keep secrets. Tactical secrets like where troops are currently deploying, etc.? Sure. But not long term secrets like what our policies are, who we are selling weapons to, how we are planning to spy on our own citizens, and what we are going to do with Guantanamo.

Does that mean we may not ultimately stride the world as a military colossus, or that our back room deals with other nations might lose credibility? Yes - but that's not a bad thing. America was founded on the notion of the individual having the power to choose his own destiny rather than have it dictated by the government, we were not founded on the idea that we will be a military superpower policing and dictating terms to the world. In one man's opinion, anyway. :D