You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

RTS-Sanctuary closing down

Post by jerom »

Robo:
Unfortunately I am not able to continue funding/supporting the operation of RTS-Sanctuary.

It's not feasible to transfer the site to someone else to operate - there is nobody who knows anything about all the custom coding for the site and I don't have any free time to do anything to help with transferring things over. The site databases are also so large that any transfer task would be enormous. Releasing the replay systems to others to use is also not practical as they each involve thousands of lines of code that are tightly integrated with the forum software. Finally, even if we kept the current site running with some financial support, I don't see myself having any time to undertake any further development of the site as new games are released.

I have therefore decided that a clean shutdown of things is the best way to go rather than a long slow decline as things change/break and don't get modified/fixed.

I realise a lot of people will be disappointed to hear this news, and it is not a decision I have come to lightly. I'd like to thank all of the admins and staff who have volunteered their time to help keep this place running for the last 7+ years. There are too many of them to list but without their efforts the site would have shut long ago - I don't think any of us involved with AOTSanctuary in the first few months ever expected it to continue for this long.

I'd also like to thank all of the people who have used and contributed to the sites over those 7+ years as well. I stopped playing any of the games we support over 5 years ago but I have always tried to keep the site going for people who still played the games I used to enjoy. Hopefully having RTS-Sanctuary (and before that AgeSanctuary and DoWSanctuary) around has helped these communities to survive for a bit longer than they otherwise might have.

At this stage I plan to shut the site on Wednesday 20 April but I will confirm that closer to the date.

Note: This is not an April Fool joke - it is not something I would ever joke about.
Might this be the official killer for aoe3 ?
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: RTS-Sanctuary closing down

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

if you are a necrophil, then yes lol
GrEaTeR_KnArLoC
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by GrEaTeR_KnArLoC »

this is very bad news :(

sad to see rts-sanc go.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Aoe3 was dead a long time ago.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""36drew""]Aoe3 was dead a long time ago.[/quote]

I disagree.

I log in several times a weekend and on weekdays when I'm in town and I can almost always get a game in less than 3-5 mins.

Just because the "old school pro's" i.e. the top 2% stopped playing the game doesn't mean it's dead.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

It's kinda dead, still a few people who are just too addicted to give it up (me) are playing it.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

It depends on your definition of dead then. According to mine, it's dead.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Men the idea of Aoe just completely dying, ESO being closed down all the forums being closed down makes me really sad.

Also makes me wonder what is going to be my next step in life..
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

[quote=""jerom""]Men the idea of Aoe just completely dying, ESO being closed down all the forums being closed down makes me really sad.

Also makes me wonder what is going to be my next step in life..[/quote]

I'm feeling the same way. Looking to finish up school soon, and I can't help but remember how much fun TAD was when I first got to school. Time has been flying by..
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

My kids are just learning to play - add cousins and we play 4 to 6-man LAN games on Sundays. My AOE3 days are just beginning. :D
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

^^ great news dude. Sunday is always a good day in my book :)

out

PS hows the kids?
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Actually I can report a similair thing, all of my real life friends are playing aoe3 now, thats looking like some lan games soon :D
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

The kids are OP. Trinity (the latest) is finally starting to let us have a bit of sleep. We are caught up in science project city right now, with growing plants and lemon-powered light bulbs tucked into every nook and cranny around the house. :)
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

I had a really great time with AoE. I have to say that i was quite addicted some times. Needed to play my lovely teamgames every day, hehe. But things go on and SC2 is a great game as well. The only thing that really disappoints me is that AoE had such a great potential, but Ensemble Studios threw it away by not supporting the game :(. The Homecity thing was a very cool innovation, though. But i also think that this innovation and maybe the number of different Civs and troops made the game unbalancable (does that word even exist?).

Great time with great games and great Recs and not to forget that i found you guys through AoE! :) Best thing that could happen.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""IndyBrit""]The kids are OP. Trinity (the latest) is finally starting to let us have a bit of sleep. We are caught up in science project city right now, with growing plants and lemon-powered light bulbs tucked into every nook and cranny around the house. :)[/quote]

Since i'm a huuuuuge fan of the Bud Spencer and Terence Hill movies i have to admit that Trinity is a damn awesome name for a kid!