You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Xbox Marketplace down, AoE:O shut down next July

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Taken from the Age of Empires official facebook page:
[size=small]Age of Empires fans, no doubt you’ve heard conflicting reports about the PC Marketplace shutting down and the future of Age of Empires Online. As announced earlier this week, the PC Marketplace is shutting down tomorrow and this will be the final opportunity to obtain the game or any of the DLC. On July 01, 2014, Age of Empires Online will shut down permanently. The Age of Empires brand will live on in Age of Empires III and Age of Empires II HD, which has The Forgotten expansion pack currently under development. We thank the loyal fans for their support and commitment and look forward to many more battles before Age of Empires Online is retired.[/size]

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/pc- ... ce-closing
It's official! The rumour was out after a leak from xbox's own website and it is confirmed today. Age of Empires Online is going to sleep with the fishes in July of the next year. Needless to say that although a rude decision, considering the money that a lot of people sent on it (it is the only game of the franchise that you will not be able to play ever again), it is the best one for the franchise.

It was over for me when they shutdown development, I don't mind them taking it away considering that the promised patches never came.
Last edited by Sporting_Lisbon on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Re: Xbox Marketplace down, AoE:O shut down next July

Post by Comadevil »

I already thought before launch, that a shutdown after such a short time will happen if the game is not successful. It is even before the 5 year when consumer products for M$ run out of support.

Well but i got enough playing time for my money.

I don't think that it is the best for the franchise considering the time people could play the game. Guess some won't buy another AoE game.
U just could have let it run for the next few years but M$ wants to save some money and foremost getting rid of Games For Windows Live
Last edited by Comadevil on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Xbox Marketplace down, AoE:O shut down next July

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

ye, xbox live shutting down is known for some days now, but I didn't know AOEO is going down with it.
Serves them right, that's what you get for experimenting with a holy brand like aoe.

Funny that ESO for aoe3 and aom is still up and running for 11 and 7+ years respectively!
;D