Port-forwarding problem.

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

esam709
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Port-forwarding problem.

Post by esam709 »

FTJ is my biggest problem while playing online, and some clan mates have told me to "forward" my router or something.

I managed to set a static IP adress which was not easy at all.

My problem now is that in Portforward.com there is no guide for my router;
-T-com Speedport w700v-

There is another router from T-com named W 303v, and although it is very similar I have problems with the last step.

I have looked everywhere and I have not found a guide about this router. I would like to know if there is another page aside from portforward with guides to open ports, or even better, if someone has this router (it is popular in germany if i'm right) and succesfully opened the ports that AOE3 uses can help me.

I have Vista btw.

Thanks in advance.
St_Brewer
Captain
Captain

Re: Port-forwarding problem.

Post by St_Brewer »

If you cant run then you walk
If you cant walk then you crawl
and if you cant do that no more...
well you find someone to carry you
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

ehm you don't need those "guides".

just go into your router settings, you should find the area where you can forward them.

an idiotic safe way of doing it would also be to change your router running as a modem, NOT as a router and put a software firewall, that way no forwarding is necessary at all
esam709
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by esam709 »

I actually figured out how to forward it, but when I use the portforward.com checker it says they are closed or not reachable so there still must be something that I'm doing wrong.

For some reason I ftj more often with N3O members. That sux.

Aaryn if you can tell me how to change my router I will give it a try.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

well can you get into router settings? for my AV fritz box for exmple all i have to do is type "fritz.box" into my browser (which is firefox btw) and i can change all the settings i'd like to change.. your router manual should tell you how to access it
esam709
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by esam709 »

I write my router's IP in the search bar (also firefox) and there is an option to forward ports. There are 2 boxes then; TCP and UDP. In TCP I write down 80,2300 and in UDP 2300-2310 and I save it. But then the port checker tells me the ports are closed or unreachable so Idk what the problem is now.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

How about some screenshots? Or the product name of the router?
U also must tell the router to which computer (yours) it should deliver the packets.
He has the choice between 253 different addresses and it won't make the decision itself. Compare it to the post in the real world. The router is ur local post office and u are the recipient
Open "cmd.exe"(Command line) and type "ipconfig". Then u get your computers ip address. To this address the router should forward the network packets
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

nice piece of advice by coma.
there aer also some setting the game itself provides, like overrideaddress or overriderport in the user.cfg which you can change :-)
this is how it looks like for me.

Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

Skip the port forwarding. Besides, you can check to see if port forwarding is needed by turning off your firewall. If you still have problems (and you probably will), it's not a problem port forwarding can solve.

Note these useful instructions from Strokeyblofeld:

However, if setting up the router like that did not work there are still a few more options you can turn on which might help. These are specific settings for AoE3. The first one is overriding the IP address that AoE3 uses. To do this:

1. go to C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows Profile Name>\My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Startup\ and if you don't already have one there create a file called user.cfg. It helps if you turn off the "hide known file type extensions" option so that you can see the file and make sure windows doesn't decide to make it user.cfg.txt or some stupid junk like that.

2. edit the user.cfg file with notepad or GVim or some other simple text editor. DO NOT use Word or Wordpad, these will rewrite the file as a different type. You want the file to be a flat text file, not a doc, or an rtf, or anything like that. Inside the file you want to add the line:

overrideaddress="xxx.xxx.xxx"

where xxx.xxx.xxx will be your actual IP, and this time leave the quotes there, they are needed. If you don't know your actual IP (this is NOT the same as the one from ipconfig) then go to the website:

http://www.whatismyip.com/
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

no macabee, all routers themselves have a firewall, so you would need to put your router into "modem" mode to see if it is really your router ;-)
and it always is, it's the way the game is set up.
i also don't recommend those settings overrideaddress and overrideport, only use them if nothing else works
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""Macabee""]Skip the port forwarding. Besides, you can check to see if port forwarding is needed by turning off your firewall. If you still have problems (and you probably will), it's not a problem port forwarding can solve.
[/quote]

Sorry Mac, but this is nonsense if you use a router. The router needs to know to which pc in the net behind the router it should forward the incoming network packets of AOE3. Because of NAT (Network address translation) it doesn't know it.
The only other alternative is to put the pc in the DMZ(demilitarized zone) of the router. But this exposes the comp in total to the internet because all incoming packet will be delivered to the designated pc what i wouldn't recommend.

@esam, since it seems u are german here a screenshot which i have found for the 700v for emule. U have to adjust it to AOE3

http://s3.router-forum.de/attachments/a ... t-1332.jpg
Last edited by Comadevil on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

and again, coma saves the day ;-)
gendarme
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by gendarme »

I was at my friend's house and there I ftj 90% of the time, and when I went to 192.168.1.1 it says that it wants password. But when you write in the password it just says the wrong password...

And when I tried at home, it said that it wanted password too, I don't even have a password on my wireless internet...
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

Well maybe someone wanted to help you and logged into ur wireless network. And so no bad people can compromise ur router or sabotage ur internet connection, he set a password....
Or it is just the default password of the router

On the other hand i would recommend to encrypt ur wireless lan

1. If people use ur wireless network for downloading illegal software or music files, it can happen that u have to pay for it. There were already verdicts about this in Germany
2. Someone can easily track ur network and get to know passwords and other things
esam709
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by esam709 »

that sux.

btw i think i fixed my problem although i failed forwarding ports after uninstalling hamechi i ftj maybe 1 time every week so its not a problem now i can join dan's game even if its 5/6 full.