Building a new desktop.

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Building a new desktop.

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Im thinking of getting a new desktop but since im a total newbie with computers ive got loads of questions to start with.

I have no idea where to start. What should i be thinking about first and in what order should i do this process?

Ive heard that building the desktop from pieces is better than buying a prebuilt set. Why is this and what are the advantages for both of those?

What can i do with my old computer? Could i use some of its parts if im building the new one from pieces? Can i sell it and where could i sell it? I have this CPUID CPU-Z thing that aaryn recommended so i can show u the specifics of my computer via it if needed. Also should i get a new monitor and how much it would cost?

Coma talked about i think it was Windows license or sth? What is this and what can i use it for if i had it?

How much would it cost to get a desktop that can run starcraft2 with highest settings with good fps?

I will post more questions when these are answered. Any other tips and advice are welcome. TY for your help!
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Building a new desktop.

Post by joe4holly »

First off how much you got to spend on it ?

You are right that building your own  is a lot better and cheeper too. It not that hard to do, just take your time. You will need to buy windows 7 for a product key to intall windows 7, you be looking at 64bit version so you can have 4GB ram +.

For my last desktop I reused a old case, dvd drive and hard drive. Use the hard drive you got now as a 2nd drive to store large files and crap. A new hard drive should be alot faster than the one you got now. I spent £600ish on i5 CPU, 4GBram, motherbored, PSU and graphic card. As for a new monitor is up to you. The cheep ones I got do not make my £180 graphic card look super super good.  Might buy a HD monitor for it.

There some list prob a 1/2 year out of date coma posted for me when I was looking for a new build. Should get you started but Coma should know what best to buy right now for your money.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

I'll be spending 800€ at most but the cheaper i can get a solid set up the better ofc :)
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

With monitor or without?
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

http://www.google.fi/search?sourceid=na ... ter+2253bw

This is the monitor i have atm. Should i get a new one? At least i think it works ok so if this is good enough then i wont need a new monitor.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

If you are not 100% sure, you can buy a monitor later.
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

Just built my first comp recently. For me the hardest part was just picking the parts (best price, making sure they are compatible, etc). The building of it was relatively easy with all the resources there are online to help you along.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Yeah i have been tinking about building it by myself if it isnt too hard. Im quite handy man so i think i can get it done :)
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

So uh where should i be looking for the parts? Any good websites? Is it better to order from a finnish website or store since i live in Finland or does it make any difference? Also if someone has some spare time would be cool if u could recommend some parts cause i dont really know what to look for :D
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

Prozessor: Intel I2500k
Nvidia GTX 560 TI
ASUS P8P67
8 GB RAM
Case
Powersupply, e.g. Antec High Current Gamer HCG-520 or Antec TruePower New TP-550
One harddisk with 7200 rpm
DVD-RW Drive
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Can i use my existing case, DVD drive or hard disk like joe4holly did so i wouldnt have to use as much money?
Last edited by HeJurmhoanni on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

U must copy and paste ur selection here because we will always see an empty cart
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

U need also a CPU Cooler
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

What u chosen looks ok to me. Maybe wait for someone else to comment also esp. on Power supply and case
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Whats the wondows license you talked about some time ago Coma?