Reinstall AOE3

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Reinstall AOE3

Post by RascalJones »

I'm looking to reinstall the game, but I really don't want to have to swap discs while installing.  Is there a legal place to download the game client and enter my Key when I run?
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Reinstall AOE3

Post by joe4holly »

only true legal case would be to buy a copy on steam.

https://www.g2a.com/age-of-empires-iii- ... ction.html

Loads of ways round it but not sure how legal ...
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

what's the problem with swapping discs while installing? Since the newest patch, you don't need the discs to play anymore. So it's a one-time thing just for installing.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

I finally broke down and just installed the discs and updated the game.  I also found and copied down the TAD Patch Launcher v 18.

Does this only launch TAD?  Is that the only version anyone really uses?  I mean, are Vanilla and War Chiefs just "Old versions that no one really plays"?

Eventually, I'll download the fan patches too, but I'm just getting started and don't want to have to put a CD in every time I launch the game.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

Hello old friend,
what launcher? There is no launcher for this game. Only the fan patches used the launchers.
TWC in itself is indeed redundant, but you still need it and Vanilla to use their content in TAD.

With the newest official patch, you don't need to switch discs ever, the game is able to run without inserting any disk. The only fanpatch that will get used nowadays is the ESOC Fan patch, and it is easy to switch between that and the official version. Freel free to join our TS3 Server anytime (more infos in Member's Forum).
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

With what I "THOUGHT" was the latest patch, it still required my CD to be in the drive.

1.03 TAD
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

RascalJones wrote: With what I "THOUGHT" was the latest patch, it still required my CD to be in the drive.

1.03 TAD
This patch does not require any CDs to be in your drive. In fact, that was the only reason they published this patch. So it works on the Steam and (back then) Games for Windows Live releases without hassle. I think it came out Summer 2010.