Japanese Shrines

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Japanese Shrines

Post by kingchrisII »

does anyone else think that they need a little boost for when they have no huntables on them?! They seem to make ahardly any differnece?!
:o
MNBob
Honorary Officer

Re: Japanese Shrines

Post by MNBob »

The strategy forums should be used for posting strategy articles. All general game talk can go here. We made just one general forum to keep all the conversation in one place. ESO already divides the community. We didn't want to do that to ourselves any longer.
MNBob
Honorary Officer

Post by MNBob »

If this forum generates too much discussion, we can keep this one for AOE3 general discussion and add another for all other "off topic" stuff. But lets see if that's the case first.

We also have search capability here and your profile links to your last 10 posts and provides a way to show all of your posts. Those features make it much easier to find stuff in the forums.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Sounds good Bob. We'll see how it goes.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

In reply to the question, I think yes... they do need a boost for when they don't have hunts on them. Those shrines need to make up for 24 vills, and it is hard to make them do that.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

They need a boost, but not a huge one. Shrines are meant to be built all over the map and steal the other guy's hunts. Building them all at home is not a good idea if you're playing rush.
Groovy.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]They need a boost, but not a huge one. Shrines are meant to be built all over the map and steal the other guy's hunts. Building them all at home is not a good idea if you're playing rush.[/quote]

In my opinion, this is why they need a boost for when they have no hunts. Only small like you said. The reason being it is impossible to defend such a large amount of areas across the map. If there were enough hunts in one area to supply your shrines then it is feasable you can defend them, but with them spread out so much it makes it difficult to the point of pretty much impossible.

Shrines account for 24 vills (supposedly), after the mid point of the game Japan would be the only civ that has 24 vills unprotected, or not next to a TC or multiple towers. Every other civ has their eco under some kind of protection.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

They don't need a boost if you ask me because the Japanese already have incredibly strong units so their economy should be weaker to make up for it, especially late game when they can have musketeers with 75 damage and 300+ hp.

The Japanese are sort of like the Ottomans in that regard, strong units, weaker economy, although not nearly to the same extreme. Although I think I'd rather have Ashigaru than Janissaries in most situations.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Also u have to reach the 75 vills limit first so it has its effects. Before u also get res from shrines.
And on halfwater and water maps the vill limit virtually doesn't exist, because u can go for a fish boom which is quite strong with the cards japan has as Nav already pointed out.

Japan is right now my favourite civs never played better with another one. Have to check if i got also better with euros ;)
Ivon_Blood
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Ivon_Blood »

I think there could be some type of boost. Maybe a card which makes shrines gain an attack, because they are as Strokey mentioned near impossible to defend when scattered over the map.
[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.[/quote]

blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

i dont think an attack would be very effective without it being op, most people just send a group of 5 pikes or 5 sams to a shrine and leave it there. if a shrine was strong enough to beat 5 pikes then it would be questioning towers...20 towers means they can beat 100 pikes..which isnt very fair.
i think that the trickle everything card makes up for the boost of shrines and if u can get could map control on half the map and own all the hunts on that half of the map your in good shape.

if u think about it you would get like 10-15 shrines with hunts on them, which is a nice boost and then you would have the other 10-5 without which is better than nothing.

you can look at it like i do with india, yeah you find a weakness but its how u can turn that weakness into a strength without saying something in the game coding needs to be changed...Seince japan does have strong units it would be only fair for an economic weakness
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Guys they are supposed to be difficult to defend, they are houses. Making they easier to defend would be OP.

Japan has strong units and weaker / more fragile economy.

Seems to work fine in my opinion.

Seems to me like the issues for Japan vs. stronger civs are more along the lines of them being a bit too slow to start off with etc. which has more to do with starting resources / villagers or something like that.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Ivon_Blood
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Ivon_Blood »

Very true guys. Its all about taking advantage of your strengths and your opponents weaknesses.

I dont find the trickle card all that effective, id rather send 2 vills then 4 vills for an early boost. To be honest I dont really have any quarrels about the gather rate of shrines at all.
[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.[/quote]

blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

instead of 2 vills i like the 1tp card, it allows 4 shipments in age 2 in the time it takes u to get 2 and a half...which is nuts, and on maps without it i ship the treasure boost card because the maps without tps are treasure heavy, like painted dessert
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]Guys they are supposed to be difficult to defend, they are houses. Making they easier to defend would be OP.

Japan has strong units and weaker / more fragile economy.

Seems to work fine in my opinion.

Seems to me like the issues for Japan vs. stronger civs are more along the lines of them being a bit too slow to start off with etc. which has more to do with starting resources / villagers or something like that.[/quote]

You missed my point KK. NO OTHER CIV has to defend part of it's eco like Japan. Why are houses suppose to be hard to defend? Any other civ can build it's houses around it's TC and eco, not spread all over the map for hunts.

I'm not saying make it easy to defend, I'm saying that a 75 vill eco that japan has isn't nearly as strong as any other civ.

Look at the Dutch, they have banks and 50 vills. They can easily defend their banks at their TC and they are much stronger than shrines. Banks account for 49 vills, and they are not vulnrable like shrines. Dutch also have very strong units, but their eco isn't fragile like Japan is it?

I may be wrong, (I'm no expert on the game) but I think it's a valid argument.