Football (American) vs Soccer

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Football (American) vs Soccer

Post by RascalJones »

[quote=""HuggyPierre""]Let me post one Video and you will see why being in a football stadium (Highlander is right :P) is better than being in an american football stadium:

[/quote]

Can't watch the video since I'm at work, but yeah, I would have to agree that the LIVE atmosphere of a Futbol game is far above that of an NFL game. College football is a better atmosphere than pro in my opinion.
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

[quote=""Tubruk""]yeah, in some cases the injuries sustained are extreme to say the least, and the amount of fights that break out :)

Youtube Rugby Tackle's[/quote]

That is a bloody great video. I have watched it over and over and also the videos in the related list. Lol.
hallchr

Post by hallchr »

Ok...I'm not going to lie, that seemed more violent but I like the really fast BOOM hits that american football has. Especially UK. Go UK wildcats!!!
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""Highlander999""]Lets get this straight. It isn't soccer, it is football. We invented it first. Americans just copied it because it is British and everything out of Britain rules and Americans just want to be like us (New England, New Hampshire etc etc) :p

Rule Brittania!!!!

(I joke ;) )[/quote]

Right, isn't football just armored rugby? If that's the case, then we have to take our hats off for the Brits. I always thought rugby was "realer" and "rawer" than football. But football can be dangerous, too. My uncle lost his kidney after a particularly crushing tackle.

And yes, we Americans have to thank you Brits for everything. I went to school in a town called New London on the "Thames" (pronounced as it's spelled... not "Tems") River in Connecticut. Does it get any lamer than that? There are also towns called New Bristol, Birmingham and Manchester. On the other hand, we had immigrants from other countries, too. For example, just north of New Bristol you find yourself in Hamburg. And just west of there you're in New Berlin. I can't foget about Versailles (pronounced "Ver-sails"), either. Ah, the melting pot. There's even a Lisbon, Connecticut, just in case Lazy or Sporting felt left out 8)

On the soccer debate, I've never been very passionate about either football or soccer. I just know that I completely concur with Soccer's analysis: (1) How passionate are the fans; and (2) How much beer is consumed at an average match. Under these criteria, soccer wins. After all, soccer is played all over the world in massive 150,000-person stadiums. Football is only played in the U.S., generally in smaller buildings that seat fewer fans. Obviously more beer can be consumed in such large venues than can be consumed in small American football stadiums. And on the passion side of the equation, countries go to war over soccer matches and execute poor performers. While Americans may hate each other because they are not Bears, Vikings or Cowboys fans, there has not been a second War Between the States over a Super Bowl score, nor has the State of Texas lethally injected a Dallas QB who didn't complete enough passes :D Well, not yet :roll:
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]nor has the State of Texas lethally injected a Dallas QB who didn't complete enough passes :D Well, not yet :roll:[/quote]

Give it time my friend.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""Highlander999""]Lets get this straight. It isn't soccer, it is football. We invented it first. Americans just copied it because it is British and everything out of Britain rules and Americans just want to be like us (New England, New Hampshire etc etc) :p

Rule Brittania!!!!

(I joke ;) )[/quote]

lol, I live in Manchester, New Hampshire! :-P
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Right. I'm not going to get into deep arguments here, so I'm going to say my piece and that will be that.

Why do you guys over the other side of the water insist on calling football soccer? You call your own national sport football (which really baffles me) and then call our sport of football soccer.
Lets break the word down.... FOOT - BALL. The first word, foot, the second word ball, this suggests that the sport would envolve a foot and a ball, in american soccer, (yes... you call ours soccer so I'm calling yours soccer ;) ) you carry and throw the ball everywhere. You only kick the thing about 20 times in a whole game do you not?

Ok, next, here are a couple of definitions of the word ball:

round object that is hit or thrown or kicked in games
a spherical object used as a plaything

Ok, there are a lot of other definitions, and a lot of them state that a ball can be ovoid also, but the first meaning is round/spherical.
So, lets look at the facts here:

In the game of American Soccer, the foot is not really used to play the ball, and the ball is not round/spherical. This is what makes me laugh.

In the game of Football (a global sport reffered to by most as football NOT soccer) the foot is main component of the body used in the game, and the ball is round/spherical.

So... here's my question..... where the hell did you get the word soccer from?????

Oh, and football is far better than American Soccer, no contest. :D
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

Hockey FTW!
End of.
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

Strokey your my hero for the day, ty
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Of course it is no contest, even the kids on the streets can play football and beat others by pure skill. In football you always hear names of players that are nearly football gods and known in the whole world, even by those who don't like football.

And guys, even rugby is better than american football! True tough guys have no need for armor :p Plus, it doesn't have all that circus around, stopping for every reason.
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

I think football(soccer) is better for all the reasons stated above. My only problem with it is all the diving that goes on.

but....Hockey> all
-hockey is the fastest team sport in the world
-hockey has the hard contact of american football
-hockey has the quick spur of the moment playmaking of football(soccer)
-hockey has wild and loyal fans(at least in Canada, tell me why we can fill every seat in the ACC and still have the fans chanting when the Toronto Maple Leafs are in 12 place in the eastern conference. And what kind of fans start lighting police cars on fire to celebrate the Montreal Canadiens advancing to round 2 of the playoffs)
-hockey has the fights of Rugby

what more can you want from a sport, honestly
Last edited by danno527 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
scoop10
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by scoop10 »

[quote=""

So... here's my question..... where the hell did you get the word soccer from?????

Oh, and football is far better than American Soccer, no contest. :D[/quote"]

+1
Nighthawk22
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Nighthawk22 »

completely understood about the "soccer" thing, but i only wrote it as soccer because.. Football vs Football wouldnt sound right.. :)
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

I'm going to have to vote American Football. I used to play soccer as a little kid, though as i became older(around 6th grade) I started to like Football. Now like Golf I can't stand to watch Soccer games(too boring for me). Anyway I also never played football because I'm not in shape enough, unlike in Soccer where I can just use my height and good reflexes to be an OK goalie.

[quote=""Soccerman771""]Well, you know which way I'm going to vote ;)

And just so you know nighthawk the common average score in American football is around 21-14. That's the same as a 3-2 soccer score (not far from average there, either).

I think the real question here and the one that will really answer this "debate" is two fold. Which fans are more passionate, and during which event is more beer consumed? Euro football wins hands-down IMO in both those categories.[/quote]

Have you ever heard of Philly fans? When one of our teams wins garunteed riots(still don't know why they do it, all they are doing is breaking thier stuff because they won, what are they thinking, "Yes I won now I'm gonna wreck my car :D ").

Ohh and StrokeyBlofeld I have thought the same thing many times. My answer is probably when Football was first though of people started calling it that to make the Europeans angy, or to annoy them. :twisted:

Nighthawk22
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Nighthawk22 »

check out this video