slay3r_
Conscript
Conscript

Versing mass thors with zerg

Post by slay3r_ »

any ideas to counter thors around 8 of them with marauders and marines

suggestions would be nice

i've tried roaches ling and infestors
Last edited by slay3r_ on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: versing mass thors with zerg

Post by DutchNvG »

It is indeed pretty hard to counter them. The best thing you can probably do is trying to stun at least some of the thors with infestors and get some nice Hydralisks in there. Make sure the thors can't make full use of the area damage.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
WarlordR
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by WarlordR »

[quote=""DutchNvG""]It is indeed pretty hard to counter them. The best thing you can probably do is trying to stun at least some of the thors with infestors and get some nice Hydralisks in there. Make sure the thors can't make full use of the area damage.[/quote]

Thor's normal attack is a single-target one, their javelin missiles (anti-air) are AoE. You can only stun movement = useless as you would allow the thor ball to regen using SCV Repair, in any case you will have to take the fight to enemy. Since it takes quite a while to mass up Thors you will be able to get both ultralisk and broodlord, aswell as the zerg's nearly-but-not-completely-best unit: the baneling. It's devastating against any balled up units (mech included) as they can take out the repairing SCV's.

Also don't forget that you have units with skills beyond direct-damage, as I've personally experienced that neural parasite is extremely strong against smaller, as well as larger groups of high-tier units.
Drag
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Drag »

Really you want to be getting ultras out if they're going mass thor, or any sort of mech late game roaches really can't tank enough damage. You also want to be getting out a lot of banelings to tear through the bio ball, with some fungal growths etc
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

In my opinion Ultralisk is pretty much the worst thing you can do against them...
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

ultralisks only work if he doesn't got too many marauders and you are ahead in eco
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

The problem with thors is that nothing counters them really hard as zerg. It's not like where banelings absolutely own marines. Lings are okay. In the early stages roaches are okay. Magic box mutas can work but you need to be freaking careful. Ultra's can work okay. Hydras don't work well. Broodlords are okay with good positioning, but they just don't seem viable overall these days. Anyways.
WarlordR
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by WarlordR »

Divide et impera - Divide and conquer

Either do not allow the Terran to mass up such amounts of thors or, when you know he's moving out, burrow some banelings/ultralisk in his path and split the army so you will hit more than only the outer layer.

Still remaining with the issue that thors aren't easy to counter nor easy to mass up, especially if your opponent keeps harassing you and has far superior mobility.
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

Thors are my babies. ^^
slay3r_
Conscript
Conscript

Post by slay3r_ »

god i hate thors haha :D, and ultras arent as good as infestors with neural parasites, infestors with roaches are my only hope :( hydras just get ripped to shreds.... lings well you know they just dance around scratch a bit and die mutas..... errrr with a few marines amongst the thors i find them fragile. thats my opinion >_>
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

Well, I played a couple of 1v1's today and at one 1v1 I faced a thor spamming player. I don't have a clue what I could have done to prevent losing... Any tips are welcome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Like said, theres no good conter against massed thors exept broodlord in some situations. Early game, when theres just like 2-4 thors you can kill them easily with lings, roaches or even mutas. So as zerg you should try to keep the thor amount low and not let him mass up. If the terran player whos massing thors just play defensively, doesent attack and just masses up you can easily take like 5 expos and mass drone until you can just make ultras non-stop and overwhelm the terran.
froggyman
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by froggyman »

[quote=""DutchNvG""]Well, I played a couple of 1v1's today and at one 1v1 I faced a thor spamming player. I don't have a clue what I could have done to prevent losing... Any tips are welcome![/quote]

You would have owned him if u attacked before like 8-9mins he only had like 8 marines and u had a bunch of zerglings and a baneling nest.. just morph like 5-6 banellings bust ramp = GG
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

Alright, thanks Francois!
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Well what I think. Thors don´t have a real counter, but I think they also do not really counter something. They are supposed to counter the mutas and do the job so so, but they aren't a real hard counter. So also the other way around; zerg don't have a real hard counter to them :D
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.