Upgrading Pc

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Upgrading Pc

Post by Tubruk »

i have roughly £400 to upgrade my pc as i decided not to get a new one.
Im looking for a new:
- Processor
- Ram
- Graphics Card

what id like to know is how easy/difficult is it to install a new processor and ram as i have only installed a graphics card in the past.
and what components would you reccomend?
(im not trying to build a top of the line comp, just something to do a bit of Image editing, and Gaming, but i would like it to be able to play some of the more recent games)
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Re: Upgrading Pc

Post by cleeduz »

I'm by no means a comp upgrade genius, but if you want to play some of the newer games, check out the recommended system req's (the minimal req's are usually not quite enough to run the games well, especially online) as a place to start. :)

Just my $.02
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

yeah iv tried that cleeduz but most games these days show the recomended system requirements to play it on medium graphics as my brother found out when he tried to play unreal tournament on high settings.

and i was meant to reply sooner but couldnt resist tucking in to a gd old S.African curry :P
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""Tubruk""]yeah iv tried that cleeduz but most games these days show the recomended system requirements to play it on medium graphics as my brother found out when he tried to play unreal tournament on high settings.

and i was meant to reply sooner but couldnt resist tucking in to a gd old S.African curry :P[/quote]

Oh, they don't typically list something like:

Operating System Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista
CPU Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz dual-core
Memory 1024 MB RAM (2048 MB for Vista)
Hard Drive Space 8 GB of free space
Graphics Hardware Nvidia GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Nvidia GeForce 7800 or ATI Radeon X1800

The above is the recommended components of a newly released FPS, should be a good guideline. 8)

I'm more of a straight Thai fan, but good Curry pwns most others! :D

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

yeah, i sorta know how much of what i want now its just i dnt know whether the installation would be too much of a task, why cant they make computer components out of lego it would be so much easier. i'd still probably need instructions though,
oh and cleeduz, i knew i said id play with you but the computer i am on know has connection problems regarding the internet and the one i want to upgrade is sort of.... dead? lol
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

How to recommend components if u don't tell us what system u have right now? Especially the mainboard is important
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

ohh Sorry i dont know what my motherboard is its less than 2 years old though.

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 4000+ 2.10Ghz
-894Mb Ram
-and i think i have a 128 Mb Nvidia Graphics card
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

np on the games, we'll get them in. :D

I can usually find some kind of guide or how to instructions (even sometimes vid's) online. They help out a lot. I was dubbed "computer guru" at work a few years back and it's amazing what you can find online...

I don't think most of the items you mentioned are that difficult to install (RAM and gx cards are a snap, CPU's are pretty easy also, just check for compatablility with your motherboard. HD's are a pain for me, they're easy to install, just the transferring, backup of files, and re-installing the OS is something you don't want to screw up. Backup everything and take your time. :?

cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

* double post, sorry*

Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""Tubruk""]ohh Sorry i dont know what my motherboard is its less than 2 years old though.

-894Mb Ram
-and i think i have a 128 Mb Nvidia Graphics card[/quote]

Do u know at least what CPU socket ur mainboard has? 939 or AM2? Else it will be impossible to recommend anything.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

[quote=""Comadevil""][quote=""Tubruk""]ohh Sorry i dont know what my motherboard is its less than 2 years old though.

-894Mb Ram
-and i think i have a 128 Mb Nvidia Graphics card[/quote]

Do u know at least what CPU socket ur mainboard has? 939 or AM2? Else it will be impossible to recommend anything.[/quote]

no, i think i might just go out and buy a new computer, will save a lot of time and trouble.
and i'd just seen this - http://www.alienware.co.uk/product_page ... fault.aspx
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

Pffft.. Forget that.
in the description it says it has quad core but its an extra £200-ish added on to base price. i think i will stick to upgrading :)
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

Have a look on ebay .Its were I got mine when I had under £300 for pc for gaming,all way woth a look.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

[quote=""joe4holly""]Have a look on ebay .Its were I got mine when I had under £300 for pc for gaming,all way woth a look.[/quote]

lets just say that me and ebay arent friends anymore after being sold stolen goods and being arrested for theft :oops: so i try my hardest to avoid it even though there are a few bargains :>:
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

Is your motherboard AGP(old style!) or PCI-E(I think is the current default one)?
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!