Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Severe Computer Problem(s)

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Hi there guys.

When I try to boot up my home computer, it keeps rebooting without my intervention. When I was checking my email, it restarted by itself. At first I thought it was the PSU for the computer, but there's not really any evidence to suggest that. I cannot even access the BIOS to check the temperature of the CPU or perform any other operations, because the computer doesn't stay alive that long.

When switching on the computer I get the following message on a black screen:

We appologise for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders... or if a previous startup attempt was interrupted ....

choose:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Promt
Last Known Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally

When I choose either of the first 3 options, I get the following scrolls (of about 50+ lines that I cant read as they run too fast). The last 3 lines are:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\NDIS.SYS
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\TVALZ.SYS
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\Mup.sys

Then the computer restarts and back to the same page again. When I choose Last Known Good Configuration or Start Windows Normally, the computer just reboots. I tried running Windows XP but the CD wont run.

I tried hitting F8 during the bootup for advanced options - I've tried everything, Safe Mode, you name it. I tried hitting 'Disable automatic restart on system failure' and then I get a nice Blue Screen of Death, and there's a different error message/code each time I do it. Eg. 'Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area'. Another one is something about a driver. Basically it seems that every component is, for want of a better word, buggered.

Another strange thing that happens is that 1/3 of the time I (attempt to) bootup the PC, the monitor turns on but says there's 'No Signal Input', which is weird because I've tried about 3 different types of monitor PSU and signal cable.

So until this is resolved, I'm afraid to say I'm out of action on ESO for the time being. :neutral:

EDIT: My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Professional / Service Pack 2, if that helps at all.

EDIT 2: I haven't tried running the PC into Command Prompt. Maybe I should try that and 'chkdsk /r'?
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Re: Severe Computer Problem(s)

Post by LaZy »

Dude that trully sux up.

I know nothing of PC´s but it does come across 2 me like a power problem

hope u can fix it and am sure the Xperts like Coma will sort u out in no time.

out
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

system32 i believe refers to a virus/worm, something very similar happen to my comp in 2007 , i believe they only fix is to take your tower into a repair shop and have them perform a sweep of your hard drive and erase/reinstall everything you have stored in memory
Last edited by deadhanddan on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Dan
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

my sister had that 'no signal input' issue a while back, turned out to be motherboard failure, according to the repairman.

do you have another comp available? maybe try to put your HD in it and scan it for virusses first, then safe all the critical data you still need, because you might have to reinstall windows from scratch...
gl

edit:
googled a bit and found:

Some malware camouflage themselves as tvalz.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

I don't think I can reinstall Windows or reformat the HDD, because the computer keeps rebooting, or the keys that it tells me to press, just freeze the screen in place...

I have never gotten to the desktop, put it that way... :(
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

im afraid hydro that shop time is required , i feel for ya cuz i had to do same thing :(
- Dan
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

I'm gonna attack the CPU with some compressed air tonight, I already tried the fans but that didn't work. I don't have any anti-static equipment, so I'm just going to unplug the power supply from the back and switch it off at the socket for 24 hours to earth it.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Did ur BIOS crash one time?

If the BIOS has reset itself it can be that a SATA Controller can be the trouble.

SATA Controller have usually two modes. IDE-compatible and SATA-native.

If this option was changed to BIOS reset Windows cannot boot because this modes aren't compatible to each other. At least when it concerns windows ;)
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

That's just it, Comadevil, I cannot access the BIOS because the key I press simply freezes the screen. After it has frozen, the only way to control the PC is to either Ctrl+Alt+Del it, which reboots it, or turn it off either at the PC or the mains.

Or maybe I'm not pressing the correct key, does anyone know which key accesses the BIOS for Windows XP, and when to press it? At the minute I'm pressing the Delete key during the POST.
Palehorse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Palehorse »

Have you tried a restore point?
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

Mine's in the shop as we speak. DVD drive just wasn't seeing the disc most times. I spent the whole last weekend trying to figure it out (there are 1,000 solutions on the internet) and finally concluded that I should just let the experts take care of it. What a waste of my time. He'll probably swap out my drive and I'll be on my way.
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Yep when it first restarted, it managed to get to the desktop for 5 minutes before it rebooted again. I restored it to an earlier point (16th March I think), and the problem still persists.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Sounds like a serious mainboard problem. Did u have a look at the capacitors on the mainboard?
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

[quote=""Comadevil""]Sounds like a serious mainboard problem. Did u have a look at the capacitors on the mainboard?[/quote]

Haven't tried that yet, I'll do that when I get home and report back.

By the way thanks for all the help guys, it's much appreciated.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

I'm with coma here, sounds like hardware failure. Have you tried resetting your BIOS?