Eyefinity from ATI

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

LaZy
Honorary Officer

Eyefinity from ATI

Post by LaZy »

Hey guys I need some help pls.

Our great dictator has shown me a link that has got me intrigued. Its about ATI´s new graphic card and its Eyefinity technology. I would like 2 know if my comp can actually take advantage of it. MayB ill treat myself 2 this 4 christmas, mayB i wont. depends on ur responses.

So before I start 2 throw out unessecary questions Id like 2 know what I need 2 print screen in order for u Tech geniusus need in order 2 let me know more about if I can or not use this at home.

What I do know is that Im using a quad core 2 duo @ 2.8MHz with 2 gigs of Ram ( donno if its DDR2 or not and donno the speed of it either, neither do I know if its in dual channel or not). Im running a Motherboard which has got PCI 16x PCI Express and is SLI rdy. Im using Windows Vista 32 bits version and have a 24" Samsung monitor connected via DVI into my 8800GTS NVidia card. Thats about all I can think of atm.
ty

This guy talks about a native display port monitor. wth is that? Is it a special monitor? Can u pls give me a link with prices. I can I check if my current monitor is 1 of those?

Also Im having trouble finding the price for the Ati Radeon 5870. Jim mentioned another card, weaker, that I could use in crossfire which would be better than using the better 1 by itself.

Most importantly. Will I b able 2 use eyefinity with AoE or is it for "special" games only, and if so what designation do those games have? multi screen option perhaps?

out
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Re: Eyefinity from ATI

Post by Comadevil »

Buy yourself a 26" Monitor. This is big enough if u are sitting right in front of it. Everything else is in my opion too big. I have one 26"

For two ATI-Cards u need Crossfire. SLI is for nvidia. So if u also want two graphics cards then u need also a new mainboard and proably a new psu.

Additionally i have also two monitors (1 26", 1 22") connected to my graphics card (nvidia 8800GTS 512 MB) but this is only to extend my desktop so i don't have to switch between windows or resize windows, if i want to see both of them at the same time.
And this is really nice.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

I don't think it will work for AOE3 tbh. You probably could stretch the screen across 3 monitors, like it was some super wide screen set up, but it would probably be more of a hindrance than a benefit to you. The games have to be designed for this to make it work well, like that HAWX game you saw in the vid, with the plane/**** slotting nicely into one screen and the peripheral vision into the other two.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

It is awesome for fps games, flight games (HAWX as mentioned) Need for Speed shift... and those types of games. For aoe I imagine it would just stretch the image out of proportion.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Yeah, Call of Duty with this st up would be awesome!
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

well im looking at something that seems alot more immersive than the peripheral view thing. Its Nvidia´s 3D geforce. now im all confused

out
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

I recently got my new computer, and got one of these 3D NVidia graphics cards, but it says you need(to be able to produce the 3d effect) and IR emitter, a 3D ready monitor and 3D glasses, what is the name of your screen? If vista is anything like 7, it would have the name of it in control panel, Display, adjust resolution
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

^
Though looking under compatibility with games, it says its got excellent compatibility with Age of Empires 3 Vanilla and TWC, but doesnt mention TAD
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

[quote=""djdan""]^
Though looking under compatibility with games, it says its got excellent compatibility with Age of Empires 3 Vanilla and TWC, but doesnt mention TAD[/quote]

Probably because TAD was made by someone other than ESO/Microsoft.
emperoral
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by emperoral »

Being one of the best tech experts in the house apart from the wife and cat I have on idea which one, but I think thw 26 monitor is the best buy LOL.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

there are currently only 2 monitors doing the necessary 120Hz for the 3D thing from Nvidia. A samsung 2233RZ and a viewsonic.

The 3D effect is regardLESS of the game played. It is even regardLESS 2 the multimedia were using, ie pictures, movies and games. From the little investigating I have done, this option is much more immersive and the effect will work with any game, including AoEIII! Imagine muskets jumping out of ur screen while ur microing them. Amazing

I have made my decision and will get the 3D glasses from NVidia and the Samsung.

When, well that is another question

out
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

wow, definitly worth an investment!

lazy, when you get that stuff and have it all hooked up and installed, you need to give us a detaield and vivid review/description ;-)
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

How many poor portugese farmers with inbearable tooth ache has Lazy been wringing money from for this kind of stuff?
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

:)

out
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

It just a shame you can't combine Eyefinity with Nvidia 3D to create a 3 screen curve of 3D gaming. Now that would be awesomeness at it's utmost!

:)